Thursday, December 17, 2009

MME Blog Challenge #6

I needed a little motivation to jump start my creativity this week- and I found it on the My Mind's Eye blog- their challenge: to make handmade paper flowers! This is always fun because there are SO many ways to create handmade flowers, the possibilities and details are endless! I had a few new techniques I had been wanting to try- so I did!
I went a little old school and dug out my Kiss and Tell papers from MME and I knew what I wanted to do- make a "fancy" page with one of my wedding photos. I have made a whole album with our wedding photos but it was my first scrapbook ever! So I wanted to make something with my current style.
I also got out all of my Shimmerz and used them to add lots of shine and bling to my flowers, there is just something relaxing about getting out a paintbrush and painting with the shiniest sparkliest paints you can buy! (well at least for me anyway haha!)
I used some shimmerz blingz and painted it on a stamp to add some detail around the edges of my cardstock base for this layout- believe it or not this is the first time I have used shimmerz on my stamps and I LOVED the result! Then after I finished making my flowers (details on that below!) I got my paintbrush back out and added details on the edges of all the flowers, the blingz and shimmerz really added a lot of depth to the color just by painting it on the edges of the paper.




So, wanna know how to create flowers like these? here's a short mini-tutorial if you will :)
For the fluffy pom-pom style flowers cut a strip of paper from a 12x12 piece of paper, cardstock or patterned paper doesn't matter! Adjust the width of the strip to your needs, the wider it is the bigger you finished flower will be. I used 2 and 3 inch strips for mine.
Next, fold the strip in half and cut fringe. Using your fingers bend and tossle the fringe so that your flower will have a nice fluffy look!
Add a little adhesive near the edge of the fold and roll it up! After it is rolled up fluff the fringe again and you are all done!

Next is the rosette flowers, these are really easy and quick! Start with a circle, freehand cut is fine, and like the other flower- the bigger the circle the bigger your flower will be. Cut a freehand spiral and then roll the paper starting from the outside. Add a dot of glue at the end and you are done!
Add ink and shimmerz, paint, or stickles the edges of the rosettes for extra dimension and detail!
I also made paper spirals to sneak in between a few of the flowers, just wrap a thin strip of paper around a pencil to make your own.

9 comments:

Davi said...

Love your colors and flowers. Turned out very pretty. :)

Nikki Love said...

awesome layout!!! love the paper line and your flower :D

jacque4u2c said...

Just adorable!!! I just love how elegant and stunning it looks. It reflects your beauty and talent in every way!

Aimee (aka carolinagirl) said...

Beautiful layout as always! Going to have to try some of these flowers! Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Rhonda!!

Kris said...

Very pretty layout! I love the flowers!

Kris said...

Saw your beautiful work on the MME blog! CONGRATS!!! :)

Kris said...

Hi Krista, I wanted to thank you for posting the steps to making your pom-pon flower! I made one for my latest layout and love how it turned out. Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Dee Dee said...

Your paper flowers are amazing!

Bethany said...

Wow, that is a super duper awesome page! Love the flowers. Thanks for the directions too. Everything about this page makes me smile.